Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Wednesday FunDay!!

So living here in Charlotte has been awesome so far! I am really enjoying getting to know the city and experiencing everything it has to offer! Since I am only here until August 1st, I gotta do a lot in a little time! And since I am fresh out of college and working an unpaid internship, these experiences need to be affordable..but still fun!

Last week my boss told me about an exhibit at the Mint Museum in Uptown (thats what Charlottians call downtown Charlotte). On Wednesdays, the Mint Museum offers free Wednesday admission to their exhibits! Plus you can purchase wine for a small cost to take with you as you peruse the exhibits and you get one free refill! There are currently five exhibits on display at the museum and all of the are pretty awesome!

The newest exhibit is by far the coolest in my personal opinion....Women of Vision: National Geographic Photographers on Assignment. This exhibit is full of beautiful photos that some awesome female photographers have taken throughout the years for National Geographic! Now some of my friends and family may already know this about me but for those who don't...I'm a HUGE National Geographic fan. Like so much of a fan that when I was in Spain, I bought one just so I could look at the pictures even though I couldn't understand the stories.

This exhibit is full of really touching and poignant pictures with amazing stories behind them. In this exhibit, they give a background on the photojournalist, how pictures get picked for the magazine, plus some photos that didn't make it to print. It was so cool reading about the people in the photos from the journalist's perspective! National Geographic has also made a documentary on these 11 women and how they came to work for National Geographic! Here are some photos from the exhibit...

Photographer: Stephanie Sinclair

Photographer: Maggie Steber

These women have been on crazy adventures and have seen tremendous things while on their assignments. I have so much respect for them and for their immense talent! If you get a chance to see this exhibit, I highly recommend it! While on Wednesdays all the exhibits are free, this one does have an extra charge (I don't know why it costs money but I think its because it is a traveling exhibit or maybe because it is new?). However, the rest of the exhibits are still free and there are some other really neat things in there! If you want to check out the museum site, you can do that right here!

Enjoy!!
Mackenzy 

No comments:

Post a Comment