Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day One in ESPANA

So I'm hereeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Finally!!!! Yesterday was my first day in Granada and it was, lets just say, full of adventures! We shall start from the top!! I flew from McAllen to Dalllas, from Dallas to New York, from New York CIty to Madrid, then finally Madrid to Granada! At each airport I had a 3-5 hour layover which was really boring but it gave me time to read and walk around the airports and in New York City..eat "authentic" New York pizza!! Not sure if it counts as authentic if its in an airport but it was delicious nonetheless!

One of the best parts of the flights I had was that none of them were full! During each flight I had a seat in between me and the other passenger! It was nice to have at least a little bit of extra leg room! One downer was that on the international flight from NYC to Madrid, I didn't have my own TV like I expected! What the plane lacked in entertainment though, it made up for in food! I had tortellini, a hot bun with butter, crackers with a Swiss cheese spread, and a caramel brownie! Totally delicious!

When I got to Granada the real adventures started. I decided to take the local bus to my hostel instead of a taxi because 1. It was cheaper 2. The guy at the info counter at the airport said it would be easier 3. I had a map and thought it would be easy to find. WRONG!!!! I ended up wandering around the streets of Granada for over an hour. I asked around (in my broken Spanish) in shops, restaurants, hotels, and banks if anybody knew where it was and they kept telling me to go straight then turn left! So I did which would get me even more lost and confused. Not to mention it was coooolllld and rainy, plus I was rolling my 50 pound suitcase behind me and carrying my 15 pound backpack.

Finally, after rolling by these two old men about three times, they stopped and asked me where I was going. When I told them where, they decided to walk me there. I was so nervous at first, especially when they grabbed my suitcase and started walking with it. I kept telling them that I would take it but they insisted on rolling it. I figured that I had pepper spray in my purse if it was necessary, plus I figured I could outrun them. But they led me 45 minutes the opposite way that I had been going, all the while pointing out historical sites and important places to remember in Spanish. They walked me right to the front door of the hostel and each gave me a kiss on each cheek in a typical Spanish farewell. I was so gracious and overwhelmed with thanks but they just nodded and smiled and walked away! My faith in humanity was RESTORED! I know I broke like every rule of what not to do in a foreign county like walking around alone and trusting strangers...especially entrusting them with my baggage, but it was well worth it! Now I have a story to tell the grand kids someday!!!

Stay tuned for more on my adventures in Spain!
God Bless!
Kenzy

No comments:

Post a Comment