Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day Two and Three!

I'm going to bring these two days together because my day two really consisted of me sleeping all day and trying to get over jet lag which was no fun. I felt like I had sand in my eyes and a weight on top of my brain which subsequently led to me sleeping in till about 3 PM. At first I was bummed that I slept the day away, but I realized I probably wouldn't have had as much fun if I was exhausted. Luckily, one of my friends from Texas A&M who is also studying this semester Granada, invited me to tapas!! I had so much fun walking around the city with her and seeing the nightlife. We went for tapas at a chic little bar that was delicious!! The food sold me on Spain!

I'm going through an adjustment period right now that really makes me mis my family. It feels different than when I went to college...more realistic, I guess. It's just so real that I'm not seven hours from my mommy and daddy and sissy, but I'm actually halfway across the world. It kinda freaked me out the first night, which led to me having a panic attack and Skype-ing my family at 2:30 AM. Thank The Lord above for technology though, because they talked me out of purchasing a ticket back home face-to-face via iPads. Its gotten so much better and the missing home emotions only come in small waves every so often.

Today was such a wonderful day! I finally got to move in to my host house and spend a full day with my new familia! My mama, Amparo, is so sweet and patient with me and my terrible Spanish. Plus she is an excellent cook! Sometimes I don't even know what I'm eating but I love it! My sister, Ana, is also a wonderful girl. She is so funny and loud and energetic! I love talking to her also because she is trying to learn English as well, so we help each other out! I have been so blessed to have a spectacular roommate! Lizzy is from Illinois and she is so good at Spanish! She translates a majority of the conversations for me and helps me reply back correctly. We have so much in common and I already feel like we are best friends!!

Tonight I also got my first shopping experience in the city! There are so many stores and so many different things to look at, its almost overwhelming. But I love shopping so it doesn't phase me! Lizzy wanted a pair of genuine Spanish leather boots because it is SO COLD here, so Mama took us around the various streets! I wasn't planning on buying a pair myself but I caved. They were just so cute and comfortable! Plus, how many people get to say they bought their boots in Spain? Check them out at the bottom of this post!

It is 12:35 AM here right now, and I start my orientation tomorrow morning! I'm excited to meet other students in the group and start learning about the city and university! As always, keep checking back for more of my adventures in ESPANAAAAA!!!

Kenzyy

2 comments: