Friday, March 8, 2013

Italica-Where Romans Roamed!

Hello world! Before I start my newest post, I want to take this time to ask for prayers for a few things..first off, one of my high school friends who I knew through tennis suffered a brain aneurysm recently and is still in the ICU. While I am not close to him, I knew him and his potential in this world! He has just been accepted into dental school so he has his whole life ahead of him. So please send a prayer for Ramon when you can. Also, two young cadets from my school at Texas A&M were killed this past weekend in a car accident involving a drunk driver. So please pray for their families and friends as they deal with their grief. And one more prayer, please, for my best friend Mandy, whose grandmother lost her battle to cancer two nights ago...I love this girl with all my heart and know that she is going through some hard times. Please pray for her family as they deal with their loss as well.

Onto brighter subjects!!! So yesterday I FINALLY finished my post about Seville! Well on the way home the next day from Seville  we got to stop by Italica...an old Roman city on the outskirts of Seville! It was formed in 206 BC as a Roman hospital for wounded soldiers wounded in the Battle of Ilipa during the Second Punic War. It later developed into a town, adding temples, public buildings, and an amphitheater. The amphitheater reminded me a lot of the Colosseum in Rome because of its design and size. It was the third largest amphitheater in the Roman Empire and it seated 25,000 spectators. It was home to not only theater and performances, but to games as well. Gladiators used to wait in the hallway of this theater while Mackenzy Liljedahlanimals were stored underneath in the center pit of the amphitheater. There were gladiator fights and most likely naumachia or small naval fights where they filled that pit with water!
You can see two of the levels of seating in the amphitheater..there were 3 decks!

The amphitheater with the pit in the center!


Where the gladiators used to wait to enter a fight...can you imagine how terrifying that would be!?
The other really cool thing about Italica was that the mosaics that covered the floors of the buildings of this town are amazingly preserved and beautiful! Some are black and white mosaics, but my favorite were the colored mosaics.






 These mosaics were breathtaking and very ornate! It was so cool to see them up close! It's amazing that they were so well preserved after all these years...I was very impressed! Also, the statues found in Italica were also awesome! I don't think that some of them were the original statues (those are stored in preservation at a museum I believe) but they were still pretty awesome!
Replica of Venus statue


Those statues were so cool...I loved seeing them. Italica was definitely an awesome place to visit, so full of history and beauty. I enjoyed everything about this place! It was a great finish to an awesome weekend in Seville and Cordoba!  I will leave y'all with this one last picture...a picture of my roomie and me again..We have basically decided that we are the same person and this is like the picture of our relationship!

Yah...we're awesome! Haha!  Please send your prayers towards those who I mentioned before and until next time..God bless!
Mackenzy

No comments:

Post a Comment