Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sweet Sweet Seville-Part 2

So I'm back again!!! So last week I told y'all about the first half of my adventures in Seville! So starting where I left off...lets chat about the Catedral de Sevilla! This is the largest gothic style cathedral in Europe and the fourth largest overall, I believe (you might want to fact check that if you want to be absolutely sure..I'm just going off what my tour guide said!). This place is huge, y'all. Like I had to tip my head all the way back to see the top big. Its 138 ft from floor to the central nave in the church! So basically a 10 story building could fit in here! Check it out!
This doesn't even captivate how huge this Cathedral is
SOOOOO TALLLL!!!
This place was gorgeous! All of the stained glass windows were beautiful and the sunlight streaming through just took my breath away! Here is something that will help put the size of this cathedral into perspective for you. The painting in this photo below is 150 square feet...roughly the size of a small apartment here in Granada! It may look tiny but don't let this cathedral deceive you!
Also...check out this organ. It has 7000 pipes in it!!! 7000!!!!!!! Can you imagine how stressful it would be to play that thing?!
The other awesome thing about this cathedral is that it is the location of Christopher Columbus' final resting place. Yes, that's right, Christobal Colon resides in this cathedral! While there is only 200 grams of him left, it was so cool to think that I was in the same room as him!
Good ol' Chris is up there in that box they are holding!
Me and my amiga Victoria chillin' with Christopher Columbus!
 It was so cool seeing this piece of history up close! Also within the Cathedral, Christopher Columbus' son is also buried as well! There is so much cool things within here! I really enjoyed the Cathedral and its bell-tower called Giralda! We climbed to the top of this super tall bell-tower that you can see in my first picture in this post! The view of Seville was amazing! Check it out!

While it was a long walk up (95.5 m tall) it was definitely worth the view! You could see for miles!!!! After the trek up and down the bell-tower, it was time for lunch...I was starving!! So me and a few of the awesome friends I've made through my program stopped at a little cafe for some paella and refreshments!! I loved the sign that was in front of the restaurant!!!
My friends and me :)
So after lunch, we all got an hour of free time so I got to walk around and get some gelado (ice cream!!) After we walked around, we got to visit Plaza de Espana! Now if you don't know me very well it may come as a bit of a shock that I am a COMPLETE NERD. Like we're talking Iron Man sheets in my bed, a Superman lunchbox, I have a Harry Potter wand kinda nerd. So my first thought when I found out we were going to Plaza de Espana was STAR WARS. This is one of the many locations used in the newer Star Wars movies; Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace and Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones! They used the plaza to film the City of Theed on Planet Naboo which is totally awesome. All I could think about when crossing over the main bridge was that I was Queen Padme Amidala/Natalie Portman. I know. Nerd alert.
If you want to see what I'm talking about with Star Wars...this is the scene where they walk across the plaza and up the staircase/through the halls...I've been there. :)

How cool is that?!?!?!!? Anyways...around the Plaza de Espana is a moat-ish thing that you can rent little row boats in for 5 euro a half hour. So 3 of my friends chipped in and got us a row boat! It was so much fun seeing the Plaza from that point of view and just playing around in the water! We had so much fun trying to figure out the row boat at first, plus we added some excitement to our water adventures by continuously accidentally crashing into other people! Take a look!

It was such a blast to hang out there and be with friends and our awesome advisers! Did I mention that CEA has the best people in the world lookin' out for all of us?!? Here is a pic of our lovely two male advisers, Jorge and Dani, and my friend Victoria and me!
Aren't they precious! They are so helpful and knowledgeable about the places we go and Granada...I'm so blessed with this program! Anyways..I gotta put this pic in of me and my AMAZING roommate Lizzy..I literally ADORE this girl and have been so lucky to be a part of her life this semester!
How cute are we!? If you would like to read a little bit about her and her times here as well in Spain you can visit her blog right here!

I will be back shortly with some more of my wonderful advetures!! Until then...stay classy my friends!
Mackenzy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment