Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cartagena!!!!

So this past weekend I was lucky enough to be reunited with one of my favorite people..Leticia!!!! Leti is from Cartagena, Spain and she lived with my family in the States last year!! She is such a wonderful, rambunctious girl who bonded with our family instantly! It felt like she had been our sister forever!!!! I was so excited to go visit her and her family in Cartagena! I took a bus from Granada to Cartagena on Thursday night and walked around the town with Leti! Cartagena is a town right on the water, a port town where the Spanish Armada also keeps their submarines, war ships, and research vessels.I was lucky enough to get to go inside the base and see some of the ships and submarines with Leti and her father!

I love this girl!!!

A torpedo!!!!

One of the older submarines on the base!
 After a day of shopping and having fun with Leti and some of her friends, Leti and her father (a wonderful wonderful man whom I adore!) took me to their beach house located about 25 minutes form Cartagena in Cabo de Palos! They have a beautiful condo there, filled with such interesting things from the family travels! The beach house was filled with things that Leti had brought back from Texas like a cowboy hat, Texas magnets, some Texas dishes and dish towels, and my favorite...a Texas flag that they hung outside on a flag pole in my honor! I loved walking back to the house and seeing that flag fly!! Made me so proud!
It was really windy that weekend at the beach, which according to Leti is really rare! She said that there are never waves like I saw there, and the water is so warm in the summers! I am going to be spending two weeks with them at the beginning of the summer at the beach, so I can't wait to see and experience that! I love the beach! One of my favorite things to do at the beach is look for cool shells and sea-glass! I know, I'm kinda a nerd, but its like fossil hunting and I feel like every piece of sea-glass that has been shaved down to a smooth exterior and every shell I find has a story! So while Leti sun bathed, I went exploring! It was so beautiful even if it was windy and the water was wavy and cold!

I found some pretty sea-glass and a few shells, but my favorite thing I found on the beaches were pieces of tile that had been smoothed by the sea! I guess when contractors don't use the scraps of tile on the houses and whatnot, they throw them in the ocean which makes them smooth and gorgeous. I kept finding really pretty patterns and colors of this "sea-tile" as I now call it along with the sea glass! My plan is to take a bag of it home and make a stepping stone mosaic from all the pretty sea things I find in Spain! I'll let you know how that turns out!

Well, I will keep you updated on the rest of adventures as soon as I can! God bless!
Mackenzy

No comments:

Post a Comment