Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cordoba

Its been awhile since I've posted in my blog and I'm so very sorry! I have been so busy lately with school and whatnot that I have totally disregarded my blog! So I will get you up to date on the first half of my last big trip which was this past weekend I visited Sevilla and Cordoba with CEA and I had an absolute BLAST. We left on Friday morning bright and early to Cordoba, Spain which is about an hour away from Granada. We rode on a bus there and arrived at around 10:30 A.M. and got to see the Jewish quarter of Cordoba for an hour or so. Then we got to go into the pride and joy of Cordoba...The Mezquita. The Mezquita is a giant Islamic mosque in the center of Cordoba that was started being built in 784. It was passed down from generation to generation and was added on to numerous times. Then in 1236, Ferdinand and the mosque was decided to be turned into a cathedral. Many kings saw the cathedral through its construction but the amazing thing about this cathedral is the fact that they built this cathedral right smack dab in the middle of the mosque. It is amazing to be walking through the Arab features and architecture of the mosque and then all of the sudden you are in a giant cathedral. This was like the ultimate Catholic power trip towards the Islamic religion, building the biggest contrasting feature possible in the middle of the complete opposite feature. I have so many beautiful pictures from this half of the outing. Take a look!
The stained glass windows were beautiful!!!
The Arab arches represent palm trees which the Arabs connected to paradise!


The mosque goes on FOREVER!

I love the contrast between the Catholicism and Islam features

The Cathedral was just as beautiful as the mosque part!
  I absolutely loved seeing this historical place in Spain. It was gorgeous through and through and I am so blessed that I could see it! I will try to finish my post for my two days in Sevilla this weekend! Until then...have a wonderful day!
Mackenzy

No comments:

Post a Comment