Monday, February 11, 2013

School!!

Good afternoon everybody!!! I have had an extremely lazy day so I thought that I would update my blog and let y'all know about school here in Granada! The University of Granada is so cool! It was founded in 1531 and has 28 buildings spread out over the city! I am taking four classes in two different buildings...the Kenya building and the CLM (Centro de Lenguas Modernas) which are about a 25 minute walk from my apartment! Its a nice little walk that takes me through the beautiful streets of Granada. While its been a tad chilly the whole time I've been here, I still love the walk.

I really like all my classes as well! I am taking two classes in Spanish, Spanish grammar and Spanish oral and writing class. I also have two classes in English as well, History of Spain and History of Art in Spain. I had to take a Spanish placement test the second week I was here which placed me into Level 5 of Spanish. At first I was really excited, but at the same time I was really apprehensive about that level of Spanish. I decided to try out the first couple days in Level 5 before I decided anything. I went to my classes the first 2 days and the grammar class killed me. I literally felt as if I drowning in Spanish and couldn't understand anything that was going on in the class. I ended up switching down to Level 4 and I feel so much better about it. I understand so much more and my teacher is so sweet and patient with all of us. She has already taught us so much in one class! We have a small class so we have all gotten to know each other and I already feel like we are going to all be friends!

I also am a part of an internship program here through CEA where I get to go to an elementary school here for 2 hours twice a week and help teach English to 1st and 2nd graders! I had my first day of school today and I had a blast! I feel like its really going to help my Spanish studies with me talking to these little kids in Spanish and trying to translate it to English for them. I love working with kids too so I feel like this is perfect for me! I am excited to see where it goes!

I am having a blast with this program! CEA is such a blessing and the advisers here are awesome! They literally are always there when you need them and they will help you with anything!! I love them all! I have been so lucky to make awesome friends through this program and can't wait to be a part of this group!

I shall keep you up to date on my school as well as my internship! Until then...adios!
Mackenzy

No comments:

Post a Comment