Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Internship!

Today was my second day in my internship today and well, lets just say that the kids are a rambunctious crew. I am working with first graders for one hour and then second graders for the second on Mondays. Then on Wednesday, I work with the same first graders for two hours. I help with their Science class which is done all in English. I also help out in their English class as well which is also all done in English. This school I work at is a mix of a private Catholic school and a Montessori school. There is a lot of free-for-all in the classrooms and a lot of the children just walk around the classroom frequently. While its not the education and discipline I'm used to, I know that not only is the culture here different, but the type of education these students are getting is different as well.

At this school, they have ages 3-18! It is a large school and very open and welcoming. I have had conversations with some of the older kids (18 years old) and their English is SO GOOD! They are so good at it!! They are all so intelligent and excited about America and our language. It is so inspiring...they even need to be at a certain level of English before they can graduate. I am in Level 4 Spanish right now and the equivalency of what the students need to master of English is Level 5. I have so much respect for these kids. While the younger ones are a tad wild, they have a great education ahead of them.

I am excited to continue working at this school and bonding with these young'uns. I know that the excitement about having an American student in their class is quite overwhelming for them, but hopefully they calm down a tad or they will wear me out! The teacher I have been assisting is wonderful and very patient with me and the students. She allows me to do a lot in the class, and she also speaks Spanish very well which helps me a lot.

I will keep everybody updated on how its going for me here! I will be traveling to Sevilla and Cordoba this weekend with CEA and I'm really excited about it!! In my History of Art class today, we actually learned about the art and architecture in both places so that made me very pumped about this trip! I can't wait to show you all the beautiful things there! Stay tuned!
Mackenzy

No comments:

Post a Comment